Our mission is to help everyone protect what matters most.
We believe that getting the right coverage to protect and provide for loved ones should be easy, fast, and affordable. Life insurance alone is a $150 billion market in the United States with incredibly outdated and burdensome solutions.
We are a well-funded, early stage technology company backed by Thrive Capital (investors in Oscar, Lemonade, Instagram, Spotify, Stripe, Slack, Zoom, and Github), Box Group, and Abstract Ventures.
We are looking for bold, data-driven, and collaborative problem solvers who are excited to rethink the insurance value chain to deliver differentiated, customer-centric experiences.
We think that securing financial protection for loved ones and building holistic financial wellness should be the norm, not the exception. By combining technology, data, and design with empathy, judgment, and integrity, we are making the tools, advice, and products that were typically only reserved for the wealthiest available to all. Whether providing financial security after death, securing income in retirement, or protecting a business, everyone should be able get the full coverage they need and in days, not months.
What you'll do
- Write high-quality, well-tested code that runs smoothly in production
- Contribute to and lead complex projects, and make business vs technology trade-offs during all phases of the project lifecycle
- Weigh trade-offs and focus on value delivery. A fast-paced startup demands making trade-offs that balance the near term and long term value add of solutions. At Modern Life, we aim to design robust systems, but try not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
- Help create and uphold our engineering standards and bring consistency to the codebases and processes you build and encounter
- Shape the tech stack, product, and more broadly the culture of the company from an early stage. Your DNA will be deep into what and how we build
- Create contemporary and tech-forward solutions to help insurance agents across the full stack of insurance advice and distribution
- Set the standard for modern quality and design in an industry that is ripe for innovation
- 4-8+ years of experience as an engineer building product features and systems
- Excellent self-management, sense of ownership, and organization
- Effective technical leadership. This is a high-growth role that can enable someone to grow into leadership through active mentorship as the company scales
- Thrives in a dynamic and fast growing environment
- Genuinely excited about tackling hard problems
- Worked as (and loved being) a founding or early engineer
- Experience at an insuretech or broader fintech company — loves innovating in a highly data-driven, regulated, and large market environment
- Experience in a successful, fast-growing, product-focused startup
- Side projects developing products