Our client would like to hire a technical writer to manage documenting application specific guides so users can easily setup, configure, and integrate with the platform. Knowledge of web-based application development, strong communication and writing skills, and the ability to interact with software engineers, product managers, and project leads are key here.
You'll work on things like "getting started" guides, tutorials, release notes, detailed API documentation, architecture diagrams, and FAQs.
Tell me more:
- You'll write awesome manuals and references and improve existing, internal written material.
- You'll bring a love of accuracy and clear explanation, excitement for the journey from zero to deep understanding on a topic you're writing about, and interpersonal skills to identify, build relationships with, and interview subject experts.
- You thrive in a dynamic, collaborative environment. Feedback and criticism is well received and you are open to dialogue versus disagreement.
- You appreciate that effective communication benefits from multiple media, not only words. You can recommend various writing approaches, including artwork and video.
Here's what you need to succeed:
- Writing samples, including material for a developer audience
- Experience working with engineering teams and engineering program managers
- Fluency with plaintext workflows, including Markdown, Git, and bash
- Familiarity with version control and software development lifecycles
- Visualization skills with Omnigraffle and Photoshop, or similar tools
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills
- Big-picture enough to ensure overall consistency and thematic voice within large documents and across document sets, and detail-oriented enough to catch tiny inconsistencies or mistakes down to the word
- You are upbeat and results-oriented with a positive attitude
And the other important stuff:
- Bachelor's degree in Technical Writing (English), Computer Science, related field or equivalent experience.
- Proven experience writing documentation for web-based platforms, APIs, or SDKs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with cross-functional teams to gather technical information from engineers, product managers, and project leads
- Experience with Jira/Confluence is desired
- Knowledge of SAP, or other ERP platforms, a plus