[We're firmly committed to building a team as diverse as our customers, and so candidates of all stripes—irrespective of gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation—are encouraged to apply.]
We're looking for someone as excited as we are about disrupting a dinosaur. We’re creating an iconic brand in Property & Casualty insurance* and establishing a new set of insurance solutions for modern renters. It’s a formidable task and we need help doing it. This company is reimagining how modern consumers engage with their insurance company (from purchasing policies to submitting claims), and to do so, we have no choice but to have design at the center of our company DNA. In others words, design always has a 'seat at the our table.'
As the second member of the product design team, your mission will be to turn the company into a user experience case study. You’ve had one or two formative experiences as a product designer and you’re excited to take on the challenge of owning large portions of product experience. You're a builder by nature, have a burning desire to find real solutions for our users and to create something much larger than yourself. You’re willing to get your hands dirty and work tirelessly to do so.
You’ll be working collaboratively with our Product Design Director as well as autonomously to bring our collective vision into reality. You recognize that, at a fast-growing early-stage startup, we need well-rounded, “full-stack” designers who can easily navigate between the strategic and the tactical. And that excites you.
*Property & Casualty insurance is that corner (well, a $500B corner) of the insurance industry focused on offerings like homeowners/renters insurance, auto insurance and liability insurance. #TheMoreYouKnow!
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- At Jetty, you’ll be responsible for the entire product design lifecycle—from ideation to implementation. Here are a few of the activities that will fall on your plate:
- Lead Product & Feature Ideation: Help us close the gap between our business goals and our current product state through creative, analytical, and strategic thinking.
- Build Prototypes: Collaborate with engineers to bring your ideas to life through whiteboarding & “post-it” sketching, Principle/Flinto/Framer interactive designs, and live code.
- Employ Qualitative Testing: Lead an ongoing series of user interviews and tests and translate the learnings into tangible product designs.
- Employ Quantitative Testing: Architect and design multivariate experiments (A/B tests) and use the learnings to validate ideas and dictate future product direction.
- Create System Designs: Establish holistic user journeys (vs. piecemeal feature design) by establishing consistent information architecture and detailed wireframes/user journeys where necessary.
- Create Polished Visual Designs: Go the last mile and demonstrate your “design craft” through a mastery of layout, typography, visual hierarchy, and brand. As the product grows, you’ll help maintain our style guide of visual and UX patterns.
- Demonstrate Technical Understanding: Communicate naturally (i.e. know how things works beyond the design layer) on technical topics with our engineering team during the design and implementation process.
- Help Define Culture: Spread design thinking and enthusiasm across the organization and beyond through giving talks, participating in open-source projects, or writing blog posts.
PRIOR EXPERIENCE & PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES
- At least 5-7 years experience in a product design role
- Ability to work collaboratively with other designers and functional leaders on the team and believes in the idea of “strong beliefs, loosely held.”
- A process-driven mindset and an understanding of how to create repeatable, scalable operational processes
- Strong analytical capabilities and business judgment
- An articulate, polished and intelligent communication style
- Extremely high EQ and empathy; an ability to connect with anyone (but in accordance with your personal style)
- Scrappy self-starter who believes "it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission"
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS & PERKS
- At Jetty, we offer a wide suite of benefits and perks to employees (one which you'll hopefully evaluate and expand upon):
- Office Food & Beverage Benefits
- Robust office snack program
- Fresh, whole-bean coffee program and “bottomless" neighborhood coffee tap
- Health & Wellness Benefits
- Free Citi Bike membership for every employee
- Steep corporate gym discounts at NYHRC & NYSC
- Insurance Benefits
- Health Insurance with Aetna (company-sponsored)
- Dental Insurance with MetLife (company-sponsored)
- Vision Insurance with Aetna (company-sponsored)
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance (company-sponsored)
- Supplemental Life, Voluntary STD & LTD Insurance (at FTEs' discretion)
- Other Personal Finance Benefits
- 401(k) plan with Betterment (company-administered)
- Commuter transit benefits, HSAs & FSAs (at FTEs' discretion)
The insurance industry is in dire need of a rethink, having failed customers across every dimension that matters to the modern consumer: products that meet critical needs; experiences that are customer-centric, design-focused and technology-enabled; and general business practices that are transparent and fair. Jetty is changing that.
The DNA of the Company is rooted in cutting-edge technology and a belief in the transformative power of good design. Everything we do is conceived of through these two lenses.
Oh, and while you can be forgiven if the word "insurance" doesn't initially evoke visions of sugarplums dancing in your head, we can't help but feel there's something exciting about the chance to create an iconic consumer brand and give a 21st-century facelift to a 500-year-old, 500-billion-dollar industry whose products pretty much everyone buys.